Thiopurine medications and TPMT testing
For Fellows and Trainees
For Health Professionals
Posted 10 months ago
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) have reviewed the use of TPMT testing in association with the use of thiopurine medicines and sought the advice of TGA’s Advisory Committee on Medicines (ACM).
Click here to read the ACM’s advice. Note the advice to highlight the following educational messages:
- the importance of education for patients on immunosuppressants
- the importance of regular monitoring of the patient’s wellness as well as blood counts
- the importance of education for patients on the symptoms of a medical emergency and the actions to take, including out-of-hours and away from urban centres and when to attend a hospital emergency department
- patient age as a risk factor for leukopenia, and that patient age should be taken into consideration in any clinical guidelines on TPMT testing
- diagnosis of sepsis and its management.
Click here to read the updated product information for Imuran (azathioprine). Note the update to Section 4.4 Special Warnings and Precautions for Use – TPMT Testing.