Skin Cancer Medicine for General Practice
Certificate of Practical Dermoscopy
Developed and delivered by Australian trained and based Dermatologists this 8 week online course will teach participants the skills and knowledge to put dermoscopy theory into practice and develop a thorough understanding of how it can be used to manage patients with skin cancer.
Participants will complete online modules, attend or watch webinars and an online or live workshop to engage and learn directly from our experts. This course is designed to be engaging, flexible and totally relevant to your needs in day to day practice.
Detailed course content, date and fee information provided below.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries regarding this course.
Full Course Information
- History examination & lighting
- Morphology of skin lesions
- Science behind dermoscopy
- Dermoscopy basics
- Histopathology correlations
- Choice of biopsy
Online Practical Workshops
Our brand new online workshop provides the same qualifications as our previously run face-to-face one day hands on seminars. Being interactive and practical in their nature, these workshops will focus on diagnosis and management of advanced skin cancers and benign and pre-cancerous lesions. Participants will explore the use of dermoscopy and how to conduct a full skin check using diagnostic algorithms. In addition, students will have the opportunity to practice various types of skin biopsy and suturing techniques. Each student’s work will be closely examined and assessed to provide the lecturer with insight into their students’ learning process. Suture practice kits are included in the course fee and will be delivered to our students during the course.
Clinical Case Studies
Respond to authentic clinic case studies and challenge yourself to provide a diagnosis and first-step management plan on the clinical information and dermoscopic images.
Attend or watch online webinars and participate in open discussion on diagnosis and management direct with our expert Dermatologists.
Complete each end of topic quiz, the case studies and a final online exam
Dr Jim Muir is a life-long resident of Brisbane who qualified as a specialist dermatologist in 1994. Besides practicing at South East Dermatology he is the Director of the Department of Dermatology at the Mater Hospital, South Brisbane. As the dermatologist for ‘Telederm National’, a website run by the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine, Jim also delivers dermatological care to all parts of Australia via the internet. Jim has a special interest in skin cancer and skin disease in the elderly. He is actively involved in medical education he regularly lectures on dermatology to other specialists, general practitioners, medical students, pharmacists and the general public.
Jim is also a senior lecturer in dermatology at the University of Queensland, a moderator of the International Dermoscopy Society, Chair of the Brisbane Hospitals Dermatology Group and has for many years been involved in the provision of dermatology education to the Department of Podiatry at the Queensland University of Technology. At the time of writing Dr Muir has 15 publications in peer reviewed journals and texts.
Dr Adam Sheridan undertook Specialist Dermatology training in Australia and the United Kingdom; including Clinical Research Fellowships in Dermatology and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Oxford, England. He completed an Advanced Fellowship in Mohs Surgery, Cutaneous Oncology and Laser in Perth, WA.
Dr Sheridan specialises in the delivery of comprehensive skin cancer management, Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Medical laser.
Dr Sheridan sits on the Australasian College of Dermatologists (ACD) committees for Mohs Micrographic Surgery and GP Training; and runs the Joint National ACD and RCPA Mohs QAP. He is actively involved in the ACD specialist training and certification program.
Dr Deshan Sebaratnam completed his Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery at the University of New South Wales, graduating with Honours. While completing his residency at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, he also completed his Master of Medicine.
As part of his dermatology training with the Australasian College of Dermatologists, he was chosen to complete a Fellowship at St. John’s Institute for Dermatology in London.
He has a strong interest in teaching and research and is a Conjoint Senior Lecturer with the University of New South Wales. He has published his research in international medical journals and has presented at conferences around the world. He is interested in all areas of dermatology including skin cancer, acne and psoriasis.
Dr Sebaratnam has a General Dermatology clinic at The Skin Hospital, Westmead.
Dr Edward Upjohn completed his dermatology training in Melbourne and London, England before embarking on a fellowship in dermatologic reconstructive and Mohs surgery in Texas, USA. He has a particular expertise in skin cancer management and is interested in working with the latest ideas and techniques available. He also works in the treatment of acne, psoriasis, eczema, excess sweating with Botox and laser blood vessel treatment.
Dr Edward Upjohn has published numerous articles on dermatology and dermatological surgery in peer reviewed journals and books.
COURSE DATES 2021
15th Feb – 11th April + f2f workshop Brisbane date tbc
27th April – 20th June + f2f workshop Sydney – Saturday 22nd May 2021
5th Jul – 29th Aug + f2f workshop Brisbane date tbc
13th Sep – 7th Nov + f2f workshop Sydney – Saturday 16th October 2021
One low course fee includes access to the course for the duration of the trimester and you are able to download and save all learning material and resources.
- GPs $1,500
- GP registrars $1,350
- Nurse practitioners $1,350
- Other trainees and registrars $1,350
Please note that travel and accommodation expenses for the face to face workshop are not included.
HOW TO ENROL
Click HERE to be directed to our online shop and the purchase page.
Here you can select your fee type, trimester and pay online to gain access to the course.
Once you have successfully paid online for your course access, you will receive a receipt as well as a confirmation of enrolment email with account details to access your course.
Please note that enrolments are only secured once payment is made. Adding the course to your cart will not hold an enrolment place.
This course is aimed at GPs and GP registrars. Nurse practitioners and other medical registrars are also eligible.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the process of conducting a full-skin examination
- Use correct morphologic descriptors to describe features of skin lesions visible to the naked eye
- Explain the principles of using a dermoscope
- Explain the concept of dermoscopic-histopathology correlation
- Use correct dermoscopic terminology to describe skin lesions visible by dermoscope
- Discuss the significance of dermoscopic features of skin lesions
- Make a provisional diagnosis of skin lesions based on their morphological and dermoscopic features
- Formulate a first-step management plan based on a combination of clinical information, morphology and dermoscopic features of suspicious skin lesions
- Describe systems for monitoring and follow-up of patients with suspicious skin lesions
PRDP, QI & CPD POINTS
Completion of this course will result in 40 CPD points from the RACGP
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- The enrolment fee includes access to the online modules
- Access to the online modules and virtual clinic is available for the duration of the course (usually 8 weeks).
- Registration in the program will be confirmed upon receipt of the completed enrolment form and payment of the relevant course fees to ACD.
- Participants can defer by submitting a written request to the Australasian College of Dermatologists that is received no later than 20 working days before the end of the term. If a deferment is granted, you will be offered a place at the next available trimester. Once you accept this offer, you will receive a confirmation email of enrolment into this workshop. A maximum of one deferrals is permitted per participant.
- Participants are required to review the Terms and Conditions and cancellation/refund policy prior to registering, and to acknowledge acceptance of these conditions during the registration process.
- Participants will be issued with a Statement of Attainment once all course components have been completed.
CANCELLATIONS & REFUNDS
- A full refund of fees will be available if an offer of placement is withdrawn or in the unlikely event that College is unable to provide any components of the course.
- No refund of fees will be made once you have enrolled in the course.
- If you wish to defer you will need to submit a written request at least 20 days before the trimester end. Each written request will be considered on its merits. Deferment will not be granted for requests received within 20 days of the end date unless there are extenuating circumstances mitigating your studies.
- All requests for deferment must be made in writing to email@example.com