Becoming a Dermatologist
Australian Medical Graduates
- the College News section of this website;
- The Australian newspaper
Applications for the 2022 Training Program is now open. Intending applicants who have not previously registered with the College will need to click on the ‘Apply Now’ button followed by the ‘Applicant Register’ button in order to submit an application. Applications will close on Monday 5 April 2021.
It is strongly recommended that applicants read through all the instructions before commencing their application.
Applications can only be made online via the College website. An application fee of $1,600 (GST free) is payable.APPLY NOW
- The availability of Government funding for accredited training positions in Australian teaching hospitals.
- The continuation of funding by overseas governments of overseas training positions.
- The number of trainees in each state who agree to work in, or continue to work in, or who propose to return from, overseas training positions.
- The number of trainees in each state who take approved leave, or who are working part time or in shared training positions.
- The continuation of training positions made available by the Skin and Cancer Foundations in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland, which are privately funded.
- Government funding being available to support training in private practice.
- The number of fourth year trainees who complete the requirements of the training program by the end of their fourth year of training.
|New South Wales||2 FTE & 1 PTE||4 FTE||2 FTE||6 FTE||10 FTE||0|
|New South Wales Rural||1 FTE||2 FTE||2 FTE||1 FTE||N/A||N/A|
|Queensland||4 FTE||6 FTE||4 FTE||6.5 FTE||2.5 FTE||1 FTE|
|South Australia||6 FTE||2 FTE||3 FTE||0.5 FTE||2.5 FTE||5 FTE|
|Victoria||5 FTE & 1 PTE||5 FTE & 1 PTE||8 FTE & 1 PTE||7 FTE||6.5 FTE||2 FTE|
|ATSI||1 FTE (NSW)||N/A||1 FTE||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Western Australia||2 FTE||1 FTE||2 PTE||0.5 FTE||1 FTE||0|
|Total||21 FT & 2 PT||20 FT & 1 PT||22 FT & 1 PT||21.5 FT||22.5 FT||8 FT|
|% Successful||% Unsuccessful|
|Fourth and above||45.16||54.84|
- Seeking and Receiving Applications
- Assessment of Applications and References
- Final Allocation to Training Positions
- Be registered for medical practice in Australia;
- Have permanent residency status in Australia or permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely; and
- Have completed or be likely to satisfactorily complete a minimum of two years of acceptable postgraduate training (PGY 1 and PGY 2 accredited positions) in a teaching hospital or equivalent recognised by College by the time of commencing the training program.
- Academic performance
- Employment history/clinical experience (relative to time since graduation)
- Demonstrated interest in dermatology
- Academic presentations and publications
- Community and Leadership