College is of the view that Fellows are best placed to make individual decisions regarding how and where they choose to practice in light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation. We strongly encourage Fellows to communicate with each other and share solutions, both locally and nationally via College.
We continue to work with our College COVID-19 Taskforce to ensure that sensible and appropriate advice is delivered to Fellows and patients in a timely fashion.
Fellows are urged to keep abreast of government advice and apply this practically.
On this page you will find advice regarding:
- Business Operations and Considerations
- Practice Environment
- Practice Staff
Business Operations and Considerations
During these challenging times, College remains cognisant of the financial impact on many practices COVID-19 has presented. To provide assistance, we have sought third party advice from our current auditor, William Buck. The information has been provided without charge and is high level and general in nature. It provides guidance for Fellows on government subsidies and other financial matters.
College strongly recommends Fellows seek specific guidance from their own accountants, advisers and indemnity groups who can tailor advice to their particular practice, financial position and business model.
William Buck COVID-19 Resource Centre
William Buck invites members to explore and utilise their website resources, specifically curated with business owners and operators in mind.
The resources cover a number of important topic areas including:
- Accessing government subsidies
- Preparing business continuity plans
- Reviewing your tax obligations
- Access to regularly update FAQ page specific for COVID-19
To view these resources, visit: https://www.williambuck.com/covid-19-and-your-business/
LiquidHR Webinar for Employers and Business Owners
College’s HR consultant, LiquidHR, have produced a webinar for members called “Practical advice for employers navigating downturns and government orders to close”.
Click here to view (members only): Practical advice for employers navigating downturns and government orders to close
- Signage in and around your practice
- Reception desk organisation
- Hand sanitiser
- Waiting room set-up
- Inside doctor’s rooms
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Cleaning your practice
- Staff reminders
This resource below covers off a number of areas to think about relating to management of staff and practice management. Topics include:
- Managing staff illness and a COVID-19 safe working environment
- Staff contact with a potential or confirmed COVID-19 case
- Close contact but while using PPE, and PPE reuse
- COVID-19 case definition
- Staff entitlements in event of self, staff forced, government or practice mandated isolation
- Staffing levels and reducing hours
- Staff working from home/remotely
- Australian Government Support for businesses and employees
Federal Government Links
Department of Health | COVID-19 Health Alert – daily update
Department of Health | Definition of people at risk for serious illness from COVID-19
MBS Online | COVID-19 Teleheath
Therapeutic Goods Administration | COVID-19: Information on medicines and medical devices
Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme | Restriction requirement exemptions for some medicines during COVID 19